Re: Publishing RFCs in PDF Formal

At 4:45 PM -0400 8/26/08, Russ Housley wrote:
>It has already been done: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc97.pdf

The IETF has done lots of things that don't scale well to multiple tool sets.

>PDF is an ISO standard,

So is OOXML.

>and the RFC Editor has already set a
>precedent by using this format when they are unable to locate an
>electronic copy of a very old RFC.

This is a fine precedent for prehistoric RFCs. I'm pretty sure the
recent thread was for current RFCs.

>This seems like a fine format to capture images, pictures, glyphs,
>and other such things that are difficult to render in ASCII.

It sure it. It just turns out to be a terrible format for extracting
text as anything other than lines, and even then doesn't work
reliably with commonly-used tools

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium