Re: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

Stephan Wenger <stewe@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi John,
>
> please note that the vast majority of IETF IPR disclosures promise patent
> licenses only on technologies described in an I-D in the event that the I-D
> becomes an IETF "standard".  This avoids the problems you mentioned nicely,
> I think, at the expense of some uncertainty when people implement I-Ds that
> do not become standards, and some uncertainly during the prototyping/early
> deployment phase---which, so far, most if us can comfortably live with.
>
> In short: The licensing promise kicks in only once an I-D becomes an "IETF
> standard" (interpreted by most of us as an RFC is published).  In any other
> stage there is no licensing promise.  Some statements are more carefully
> worded about the subtleties of "standard" then others... but most seem to
> have the same intention.

The problem is that there is no time limit on when the I-D can become an
IETF standard.  Someone can pick up a 5 year old I-D and do the work
involved in getting it standardized; I believe our process allows for
that.  If patent disclosures are removed during that time, IETF
participants are denied the possibility to learn about patent
disclosures for the technology.  I don't believe that is consistent with
the IETF policy.

/Simon