RE: lateral approach to SS7/VoIP over satellite

For the RTP media, your PON is a tunnel, and there needs to be a way to bring
up the tunnel and do some VJ-like compression of the IP/UDP/RTP headers.  You
should look at ROHC <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/rohc>, ECRTP (RFC3545), and
TCRTP (RFC4170) to see what has been proposed in this area to date.

For SS7, I agree with Michael:  look at SCTP.

-d