Re: Proposals to improve the scribe situation

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> Now that we have audio for all sessions (although sometimes the
> quality is far from ideal) is it really necessary to repeat
> everything that's being said in jabber?

> I think the jabber scribe function should be reduced to announcing
> new speakers and giving some hints about which slides are on the
> screen.  The jabber room can then be used by local and remote
> participants as an extra channel rather than a reduced bandwidth
> copy of the audio.

It helps to have a good approximation of what later ends up in
the minutes on jabber.  As you say the audio was sometimes not
good:  Not loud enough to hear anything while pressing my ear
to the speaker, a position where I can't see the jabber room ;-)

On another day there were two intersting sessions at the same
time - actually more, but I tried two, one with jabber + audio,
the other only jabber.

A "reduced bandwidth" version of the audio could in fact help,
but good scribes - again thanks to those who volunteered, and
to folks channeling remote remarks - are more important.

All this doesn't prevent folks from using jabber as an extra
channel.

 Frank