Re: About IETF communication skills

Hi Fred,

I agree, it has been overmarketed by organizations that didn't a good job,
however, the IETF didn't marketed it correctly either, same as in general we
don't market other protocols, which I'm starting to believe that is an
important missing action for our work to be successfully and timely adopted
instead of having non-standard solutions in the market (yes, they will
always be there, but if we are in time, the level of penetration of
non-standard solutions will be much lower).

Regarding your question, I think different. I look to the depreciation of my
car value and I try (if my economy allow me), to go for a new model which
has lower maintenance cost before the old car value is too low to be sold
out as a second hand card.

Most of the time, what it seems a big expense, is actually saving across the
years in terms of maintenance, failures, gas cost (for example moving to an
hybrid car as I'm right now considering), tax savings because government
want to have more newer and more secure cars with a lower pollution level,
etc.

I see IPv6 in the same way, and this is what I'm selling to my customers. Is
more a saving than a cost when you move to IPv6 and plan ahead to do so
instead of waiting for the last minute.

Regards,
Jordi

> From: Fred Baker <fred@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:05:59 +0100
> To: Jordi Palet Martínez <jordi.palet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: About IETF communication skills
>

> On Jul 31, 2008, at 5:52 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>
>> Some considered that part of the delay of the IPv6 deployment was
>> due to the lack of communication effort from IETF. I'm not really
>> sure about that, however I agree that everything helps, of course.
>
> To be honest, I think IPv6 has been overmarketed.
>
> Let me ask you a question. When do you buy a new car? If you're at all
> like me, you buy a new car when the old one isn't serving your needs
> any more. Since buying a new car is a big expense, you put it off as
> long as you can.
>
> IPv6 solves a problem service providers will have in 1-2 years. We
> knew a decade ago that it would be 1-2 years from now, but with less
> precision. A decade ago, the problem it solves wasn't one the service
> providers had, so investing in the technology only made sense from a
> research or early-adopter perspective. Everyone else put the
> investment off.
>
> But IPv6 was heavily marketed. That leaves people saying, now that the
> problem is materializing, "yeah, yeah, yeah, been hearing about that
> for years."

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org