RE: [Capwap] Last call comments for capwap-protocol-specification-11

Thanks for the review, Pasi.

We use tracker to keep track of all of our issues. My plan is to create
a unique tracker entry for all of the substantial issues you raised
here, and a single one for the minor claritifications/nits you include
below. Please see below for information on the issues I created.

I plan to create a new thread as we attack each issue, one by one
(except the minor points that will be dealt with as a whole). I will CC
you on each one of these since I do not know that you are on the CAPWAP
list.

PatC

> I read capwap-protocol-specification-11 on my way to Dublin; here are
some comments/observations.

> Substantial topics first:
>
> Section 3.5: The text about MTU discovery doesn't look right; Section
> 3.5 seems to assume that after the WTP has discovered the AC it wishes
to communicate with, RFC 1191/1981/4821 would
> provide it with the MTU, and then the WTP would establish the CAPWAP
session.  But those RFCs don't specify e.g. what
> packets would be used for probing for the MTU.

Created as Issue 151:
http://www.capwap.org/cgi-bin/roundup.cgi/CAPWAP/issue151

> Section 4.6.29: Using MD5 in a new protocol, and not providing
algorithm agility for moving to new algorithms, is
> probably not such a great idea.

Created as Issue 152:
http://www.capwap.org/cgi-bin/roundup.cgi/CAPWAP/issue152

> The linking of control and data channels, and how DTLS session
resumption is used here, seems unnecessarily
> complicated.  Normally session resumption is totally TLS internal
optimization, and applications running over TLS don't
> know (and have no need to know) whether full or abbreviated TLS
handshake was used. It seems this document wouldn't
> really need to say anything about session resumption; if the WTP
provides the Session ID in data channel, and AC checks
> that both DTLS connections were established by the same authenticated
client, that seems sufficient.  This would seem
> to remove much implementation complexity; e.g. the requirement in
4.4.3 that "The AC DTLS implementation MUST NOT
> accept a session resumption request for a DTLS session in which the
control channel for the session has been torn
> down" doesn't follow the usual TLS/DTLS module boundaries.

Created as Issue 153:
http://www.capwap.org/cgi-bin/roundup.cgi/CAPWAP/issue153

> Section 3.3: Should IPv4 use a well-known multicast address (instead
of broadcast), too? Why not?

Created as Issue 154:
http://www.capwap.org/cgi-bin/roundup.cgi/CAPWAP/issue154

> The protocol allows the AC to add and delete static MAC ACL entries,
but it seems the AC can't check what the current
> ACL entries are.
> This means the WTP and AC could get out-of-sync, right? (The AC can't
delete the unneeded static MAC ACL entries if it
> doesn't know what they are.)

Created as Issue 155:
http://www.capwap.org/cgi-bin/roundup.cgi/CAPWAP/issue155

> Section 3.3: there's a single sentence about DNS-based discovery;
probably slightly more details would be useful.

Created as Issue 156:
http://www.capwap.org/cgi-bin/roundup.cgi/CAPWAP/issue156

> Section 2.4.3: handling of cookies that fail to validate is really a
DTLS detail, and shouldn't be in this
> specification. RFC 4347 doesn't say what the DTLS server should do,
but I think the right approach is to treat an
> invalid cookie the same as no cookie (and not discard the whole
message, as is suggested here -- I think that could
> lead to weird failure modes even in the absence of malicious
attackers).  I'll raise this on the TLS mailing list, so
> it can be clarified in DTLS 1.2 update.

Created as Issue 157:
http://www.capwap.org/cgi-bin/roundup.cgi/CAPWAP/issue157

> Section 4.3: it seems that allocation of WBIDs (and message element
numbers in 4.6) would be better done in the
> document specifying the binding. Considering that WBID allocations
require Standards Action, especially allocating
> WBIDs for technologies for which not even an Internet-Draft exists yet
seems premature.

Created as Issue 158:
http://www.capwap.org/cgi-bin/roundup.cgi/CAPWAP/issue158

> Section 4.5.3: Is CAPWAP control protocol strictly "lock-step" (once
you send a Request, you must wait for Response
> until you send another Request), or are multiple outstanding requests
allowed?  Can you "give up" a Request (stop
> retransmitting it even though you haven't received a Response), and
move to the next Request?  What should you do if
> you receive a Request with a Sequence Number that's too old (less than
previous Request you've seend) or too new
> (greater than previous Request+1)?

Created as Issue 159:
http://www.capwap.org/cgi-bin/roundup.cgi/CAPWAP/issue159

> Replay protection is an optional feature in RFC 4347. Should this
document say something about it? (e.g. MUST use?)

Created as Issue 160:
http://www.capwap.org/cgi-bin/roundup.cgi/CAPWAP/issue160

> There's some inconsistency about NAT detection: Sections 4.6.12,
4.6.13, and 4.6.15 say it's done using "CAPWAP Local
> IPv4/6 address"
> message elements; Sections 4.6.44, 4.6.45, and 6.1 say it's using "WTP
> IPv4/6 address" message elements.

Created as Issue 161:
http://www.capwap.org/cgi-bin/roundup.cgi/CAPWAP/issue161

> Minor clarifications/editorial nits:
>
> Section 2, 1st para: should reference RFC4347 instead of RFC4346
>
> Section 2.3: should have a sentence saying what transitions
represented by punctuation characters mean.

> Section 2.4.1: "DTLS will never terminate the handshake due to
non-responsiveness; instead, DTLS will continue to
> increase its back-off timer period" While RFC 4347 doesn't specify how
long you should continue retransmitting, the
> intent certainly was not to continue indefinitely.
>
> Section 2.4.3 text about DTLS retransmissions is slightly inaccurate;
DTLS handshake isn't strictly request/response,
> and both parties (not just the DTLS client) retransmit based on timers
(in some situations).

> Section 2.4.4.1: should reference RFC4346 instead of RFC4279.
> Section 2.4.4.2: TLS_DHE_PSK_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA is listed twice.
>
> Section 4.4.1, "The 8 bit Length field" looks like 16 bits.
>
> Section 4.4.2: is it unambiguous which 802.3 frame fields are included
or omitted? (e.g. preamble, SOF delimeter, etc.)

> Section 4.6, message element 29 is spelled "Image Information"
> in the rest of the document, but "Image Info" here
>
> Section 4.6.1, description of R-MAC Field needs some more text
(current text would probably be fine if the field was
> only 1 bit, but it's 8 bits).
>
> Section 4.6.6 (AC Timestamp): the timestamp format in RFC 1305 is
> 64 bits, but the field here is only 32 bits.
>
> The description of bit fields needs clarification in several places:
> at least Section 4.6.1 (Security field), 4.6.1 (DTLS Policy field),
> 4.6.43 (Frame Tunnel Mode field). For example, the "Security" field
currently seems to say that bit 1 is X.509, bit 2
> is PSK, and bits 0 and 3..7 are unused -- but the intention was
probably to say that bit 0 is X.509 and so on. This
> gets especially confusing in Section 4.6.43 (and associated IANA text
in 15.21), where it's not even clear whether this
> is an enumeration or bit field. Drawing bit diagrams would be a good
idea, IMHO.

> Section 4.6.50 (WTP Static IP Address Information): probably should
have a sentence saying why this is for IPv4 only.

> Section 4.6.50 (WTP Static IP Address Information): "Netmask" field is
listed twice.

> Section 4.6.28 (Image Identifier): length should be >= 5 (instead of
1)?

> Section 4.6.30 (Initiate Download): there's no message element named
"Image Download"

> Section 6.1 (Join Request): WTP IPv4/6 IP Address are listed twice.
>
> Section 4.6.28 (Image Identifier) says this message element is sent by
the AC to the WTP; but according to Section 9.1,
> it can also be sent by the WTP?
>
> Section 9.1.2: should say that "Image Information" and "Initiate
Download" elements are included only when this message
> is sent by the AC.
>
> Section 12.2 says Session ID is 64 bits, but in Section 4.6.37, it's
32 bits.

> Section 12.5: This text probably needs to mention PSK Identity Hint as
well.

> Section 15: Even if the well-known port numbers have already been
allocated, it would be good to say they've been
> allocated by IANA.
>
> Section 15: needs to cite RFC 5226 for the "Standards Action" policy.
>
> Section 15: RFC 5226 says that documents requesting creation of new
registries MUST include certain instructions for
> IANA (RFC 5226 Section 4.2) -- many of the details are currently
missing.

> Various places: Needs a reference to RFC 3629 for UTF-8.

Created as Issue 162:
http://www.capwap.org/cgi-bin/roundup.cgi/CAPWAP/issue162