Re: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73

On Jul 21, 2008, at 10:18 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:

Anyone promoting a point of view is going to find an example to support it. What we need, instead, is a sense of "typical", to use as the base for our consideration. Yes, we also need to consider outliers, but we need to treat them as such.

So, you are asserting that the primary working groups that I interact with, of which v6ops is typical, are all outliers.

I suspect that the story of several blind wise men describing an elephant is relevant here. My view of the elephant is as I described. Your view of the elephant may vary.

To be honest, I think the body that has the best collective view is the IESG and/or the IAB. Reason: as a group, they monitor all working groups and they collectively compare notes. I am prone to let them make the assessment. The point has been made in this thread and in others that there is a perception that working groups are in many cases inefficient, and if one of them is reading the thread maybe they can chime in to say "got that".