RE: Draft Trust Policy re: Rights in IETF Documents

Dropping "for the avoidance of doubt" is fine.

The ability to prohibit derivative works of I-Ds is still allowed, just as it was under 3978.  See Section 6.b of this document.

From: ipr-wg-bounces@xxxxxxxx [mailto:ipr-wg-bounces@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of C.T. Aiken
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 9:55 AM
To: ipr-wg@xxxxxxxx; ietf@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Draft Trust Policy re: Rights in IETF Documents

Until "7f" that all sounds good, but I'm not sure about "7f":

> ADD - For the avoidance of doubt, each Contributor to the
> IETF Standards Process licenses each Contribution that he
> or she makes as part of the IETF Standards Process to the
> IETF Trust pursuant to the provisions of [-Inbound].  No
> language to the contrary, or terms, conditions or rights
> that differ from or are inconsistent with the rights and
> licenses granted under BCP 78, shall have any effect and
> shall be null and void, whether published or posted by such
> Contributor, or included with or in such Contribution.

That also sounds right for published RFCs.  But apparently
it's not limited to RFCs and affects *all* Contributions.

SNIP

Apparently there is an exception.  Maybe that's perfectly
clear in your text, and I just don't see it (IANAL).

I agree with Frank, the disparity needs to be resolved. After looking at both documents, I couldn't see a way to reconcile the two.

Also, petty point, but it would make sense to strike "for the avoidance of doubt" from 7f. I don't see what, if anything, it adds.

C.T.