RE: RNET: Random Network Endpoint Technology

  *> From: eburger at standardstrack.com
  *> To: "Chad Giffin" <typosity at hotmail.com>, ietf at ietf.org
  *> Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 21:49:24 +0000
  *>
  *> So we have reinvented STUN?

> > I agree with Eric; based on the description of RNET, it
> > sounds much like STUN
> > combined with a rendezvous protocol (e.g., SIP). RNET is
> > also similar to HIP's NAT traversal.
> >
> > STUN is RFC3489 and draft-ietf-behave-rfc3489bis. SIP is
> > RFC3261. The use of
> > STUN with SIP is best described in
> > draft-ietf-sipping-nat-scenarios. HIP's
> > NAT traversal is described in draft-ietf-hip-nat-traversal.
>
> I looked, albeit briefly, at STUN and SIP.  these protocols
> are not at all like what I am suggesting.
>
> RNET will punch through firewalls/NATs without a problem.
> Peer to Peer communication using RNET Host Addresses,
> however, may present a problem when there are NATs between
> them.  (The answer to this is simply to allow authenticated
> RNET Route Requests to be made at every NAT/firewall)

Incoming messages are not just an authorization concern for
a NAPT -- more importantly, the NAPT needs to know where to route
an incoming message.  For example, if there are two RNET-capable
hosts behind a NAPT and an RNET message arrives on the NAPT's
public interface (that is, it arrives from the Internet), the
NAPT will not know which RNET-capable host should get the
message.  NAPTs resolve this delimma by first expecting (and
requiring) a packet to be sent by the 'inside' host to the
'outside' (Internet) host.

> I think you missed the point of RNET.

That is likely true.

> The point being that
> you have a valid IPv6 IP address and are able to plug into
> any part of the internet and use it from that location.

That sounds like Teredo,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

> Your address is NOT advertised.  The routes made for
> communication by your RNET Host decay so as not to polute the
> internet's routing tables.
>
> RNET is quite simple, easy to impliment.
>
> RNET Route Requests and RNET Error Messages can be put
> together under a new IP protocol, named RNET.  All that needs
> to be done is to have a new protocol number assigned for this purpose.

It is not possible to deploy a new protocol behind a NAPT -- a NAPT
only understands how to translate UDP, TCP, ICMP, and (if enabled)
IPSec ESP.  RNET would have to be tunneled over UDP to be deployed
beyond a NAPT -- unless your goal is to have everyone upgrade their
NAPTs to RNET-aware NAPT devices.

-d