Re: Appeal against IESG blocking DISCUSS on draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

At 10:50 19-06-2008, Russ Housley wrote:
That seems to be the crux of the appeal.  Does every possible thing
upon which an AD can raise a DISCUSS position need to align with a
written rule?  Don't we select leaders because we have some
confidence in their judgement?

A process gets constrained if we have to go by written rules only. However, without such rules one has to resort to second guessing to determine what the rules might be. Written rules are a way to set the expectations and bring in openness and fairness into the process. The decision-making process is hampered if the rules are too rigid. That's why guiding principles are defined.

By selecting leaders, we are demonstrating confidence in them. As in any process, disputes may arise. Sometimes, a person might not agree with a particular decision. The person may ask the leaders to review their decision.

Appeals are there for a purpose. It provides a recourse if the person is not satisfied with a judgement. Some may view it as a process failure. Others may read it as a motion of no confidence in the judgement of the leaders. It is better to hear both sides of the argument instead of jumping to hasty conclusions. Whether it is in a Working Group discussion, on a Last Call or anywhere throughout the process, there are bound to be differences of opinion. Sometimes this entails challenging current dogma or some higher authority. This is after all a battleground of ideas which are judged on their technical merits.

Regards,
-sm