example TLH (was: Appeal against IESG blocking DISCUSS on draft-klensin-rfc2821bis)

John C Klensin wrote:

> hypothesize that, at some point, an RFC 2606bis might be created
> (and go through the consensus process to BCP) that offers special
> reserved names for newsgroups or mailing lists as well as domain
> names

JFTR, with respect to newsgroups that is already specified in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-usefor-usefor-12#section-3.1.4

| The following <newsgroup-name>s are reserved and MUST NOT be used as
| the name of a newsgroup:
|
| o  Groups whose first (or only) <component> is "example"

The (unnumbered) NetNews standard does not go into details for
which purpose the "example"-names are reserved, but I think it
is obvious.  The plan was to discuss such details in a separate
NetNews BCP later if needed.

> a reasonable reader might have trouble figuring out whether
> the footnote/reference anchor was part of the IMAP syntax
> and example or not.

+1  A consistent footnote style can be fine in Web pages, PDFs,
and similar document formats, but it is unsuited for the ASCII
text/plain xml2rfc output format(s).

In the case of ABNF a single space could turn a clear concept into incomprehensible gibberish if the RFC line length limits
don't agree with adding this space.

 Frank