Re: RFC 3484 Section 6 Rule 9

Hi Mark,
At 00:16 02-06-2008, Mark Andrews wrote:
>         Errata is a lot faster that getting out a new RFC and will provide
>         a place that can be referred to in the meantime.

There is a Proposed IESG Statement Regarding RFC Errata for IETF
Sream RFCs (see
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg04742.html
).  There is also a RFC Editor Proposal for Handling RFC Errata (see
draft-rfc-editor-errata-process-02 ).

>         This rule is clearly wrong.

Quoting Section 1.1 of the above-mentioned draft:

   "Furthermore, posting technical errata for Standards Track documents should
    always involve the IESG, as a matter of correct process.  Technical errata
    may require much review and discussion among the author(s), Area Directors,
    and other interested parties."

   "We note that allowing technical errata is a slippery slope: there may
    be a temptation to use errata to "fix" protocol design errors, rather
    than publishing new RFCs that update the erroneous documents.  In
    general, an erratum is intended to report an error in a document,
    rather than an error in the design of the protocol or other entity
    defined in the document, but this distinction may be too imprecise to
    avoid hard choices."

>         I don't think there is any real dispute that the rule is bogus.
>         There is clear evidence that it does actual harm.

Although an Errata is the path of least resistance, it may not be
appropriate as this is a technical errata and RFC 3484 is on the
Standards Track.  If there isn't any real dispute about the rule
being bogus, it may be possible to publish an I-D and have it on a fast track.

Regards,
-sm