Re: ISSN for RFC Series under Consideration

On 5/21/08 2:19 PM, "Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What would it take to get them cataloged individually?

Interest in having them cataloged individually.  I believe LC
catalogs everything it receives.  I've been out of librarianship
long enough not to know how they receive electronic-only material.

There are a couple of RFCs in the OCLC database but not a lot,
and they seem to under the subject heading "Computer networks--
standards".  Cataloging helps solve the problem of finding the
document.  Subject headers and classification help solve the
problem of finding the information in the document.  As university
libraries are apparently currently classifying RFCs the subject
classification is so broad as to be useless and I would guess
that there's not currently a problem with locating the documents
(for reasonable people, anyway).  I think the answer to the
question of how easy it is to locate the *information* in the
documents (i.e. information retrieval) is a lot less clear
but I'm not sure the necessarily broad categories in the
LC subject classifications would help with that problem at all
(in fact, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't).

But more information is usually better than less information,
so what the heck.

Melinda