Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-bfd-base-08

Eric -

On May 7, 2008, at 1:26 PM, Eric Gray wrote:

> David,
>
> 	I agree with Spencer on the point of "system thoughts"
> verses "system states."  This may appear to be a style issue,
> but it is actually simply a matter of trying to be as precise
> as the language allows.  Who knows what a system "thinks"?
> But it should be clear if a system is in an appropriate state.

DW: Sorry, which comment is this in reference to?

> 	On the next issue, I don't understand your argument: are
> you saying that you believe it is necessary to explicitly say
> that "defending against operator error is out of scope"?

DW: Given we are talking about laws of physics and we have seen
implementation and deployment issues, it seemed worthy of not
removing the statement in this instance.

> 	Finally, Spencer's (last?) comment on use of "stronger"
> is (again) not a stylistic one, but an attempt to squeeze the
> little bit of precision that can be achieved in English.  It
> is apparent that you believe you are saying "Using SHA1 is
> believed to have stronger security properties than MD5" (as
> indeed is suggested by Spencer), but you are not (exactly).
> Change the statement to "drinking milk, as opposed to chewing
> rocks, leads to stonger bones" and you will see that what you
> have said makes no explicit comparison between SHA1 and MD5
> (or milk and rocks, in my example).  Because the statement is
> already in passive voice (whose belief is this?), and is vague
> enough as it is, then we should try to fix as much of it as we
> can.

DW: Finessing this sentence isn't an issue. Rocks for breakfast?

-DWard