Re: IESG Statement on Spam Control on IETF Mailing Lists

-- On Monday, April 14, 2008 10:25 PM +0200 Henrik Levkowetz
<henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote regarding Re: IESG Statement on Spam
Control on IETF Mailing Lists --

> > * IETF mailing lists MUST provide a mechanism for legitimate
> > technical participants to determine if an attempt to post was
> > dropped as apparent spam.
>
> Again, an umm...  I'm not sure I'm aware of an available
> technical solution which out-of-the-box will ensure this is
> followed, without at the same time resulting in a deluge of
> back-scatter.  If there was a SHOULD here, I could imagine
> working over a bit of time at setting up Mailman to
> drop-and-archive, but currently the solution which comes to mind
> is to reject, which (I believe) potentially will result in
> backscatter and more work and/or junk for the list admin.

There is another method, which is currently used on the IETF
mailing lists with a public archive.

First, the current statement does point you at the older statement:

<http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/mail-submit-policy.txt>

Which says this:

In other cases, it MUST be possible for the sender of a legitimate
message, whether a mailing list subscriber or not, to determine if
it is has been dropped as apparent spam.  This can be done in
several ways; all of these have their advantages and disadvantages.

 b.  Provide an up-to-date archive of accepted postings.
     Unfortunately, while this can show dropped messages, it doesn't
     help if the email is merely delayed, nor does it say why a
     message was dropped.  This MAY be used.

This is the method currently employed on IETF lists with a public
archive.  Thus, the onus is on the originator of a message to make
sure it was distributed.

I'll also note for completeness that the IETF does not reject
messages after they have been accepted for delivery by the SMTP
server.  Messages may be rejected by the SMTP server, in which case
the originator should get a notice.  After that point the message
is either delivered or, in the case of lists with public archives,
it may be dropped.

Jim