Re: Blue sheet harvest

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 03:14:08PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 11:50:08AM -0700, Bill Manning wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 07:08:41AM -0400, Scott O. Bradner wrote:
> > > < it started w/ folsk scanning the pages of the early bound
> > > < copies of IETFF proceedings.
> > >
> > > the sheets are no longer included in the proceedings
> >
> > 	right - the point is that this has been a problem
> > 	for years.
>
> How is this a problem if the pages are no longer being included?

	the sheets still circulate.  :)

> Do people seriously think (or fear) they are are getting scanned in
> the room?

	i have emperical evidence of the fact.

> Or the Secretariat is scanning them and selling them to list brokers
> to fund the cookies and soda?  :-)

	that is beyond my paygrade.

> It seems almost as if this is more of a perception problem than one
> where there is an actual issue with e-mails going to spammers given
> the current arrangement.

	perhaps so.  the question was raised, responses were given
	and judgement has occured.  some think it is a real issue, others
	think its a non-issue and a waste of time.  and perhaps both are
	right in their own narrow pov.  for me, the blue sheet issue
	first drove me to sign & then not provide an email address. these days
	when I do attend an IETF, I don't sign at all. Of course i don't
	say much, if anything, so as not to run afoul of the other legal
	strictures placed on IETF participants.

	Now Scott claims this is not honest. I will need to spend some
	time trying to understand why refusing to participate in all
	aspects of a strictly voluntary process is dishonest.

--
--bill