Re: Blue Sheet Change Proposal

At Thu,  3 Apr 2008 20:10:12 -0400 (EDT),
Scott O. Bradner wrote:

> Ole guessed
> > My understanding is that the blue sheet serves mainly as a record of
> > "who was in the room" which I think is largely used to plan room
> > capacities for the next meeting.
>
> the "blue sheets" are required as part of the basic openness
> process in a standards organization - there is a need to know
> "who is in the room" (see RFC 2418 section 3.1 for the actual
> requirement)
>
> the blue sheets become part of the formal record of the standards
> process and can be retrieved if needed (e.g. in a lawsuit) but are not
> generally made available
>
> as pointed out by Mark Andrews - email addresses can be useful in
> determining the actual identity of the person who scrawled their
> name on the sheet - so it is an advantage to retain them
>
> I'm trying to understand how the blue sheets contribute in any
> significant way to the spam problem - someone whould have to be
> surreptitiously copying  them or quickly writing down the email
> addresses - both could happen but do not seem to be all that
> likely there are far more efficient ways to grab email addresses
>
> so, my question is "is this a problem that needs solving"?

The only reason I've heard is that some claim that people don't
write their names on the blue sheets out of concern over spam.

This actually seems like something we could test pretty easily
by counting room entries and blue sheet entries and comparing
the totals...

-Ekr