Re: Proposed Revisions to IETF Trust Administrative Procedures

John,

On 2008-04-04 09:54, John C Klensin wrote:
> Ray,
>
> Some observations...
>
> (1) If someone doesn't become a Trustee until her or she is
> willing to sign something, one either needs to have explicit
> provisions for what happens if someone declines to sign or
> willingness to sign has to be an explicit condition for
> membership in the IAOC.  Since several of the IAOC members are
> ex-officio, I don't really see how to do the latter, but it is
> probably possible.

This change to the admin procedures is a no-op, since it
merely repeats what is said in 6.1(a) of the Trust Agreement.
So it's clear enough: someone who hasn't signed is *not* a Trustee.
If an IAOC member fails to sign and is not subject to IETF recall,
that sounds like an HR issue to me. I don't see what we can do
in our texts, so I support the proposed change (even though it's
a no-op).

> (2) Because some members of the IAOC are appointed by (or
> ex-officio from) other bodies, I would prefer that, if there is
> going to be a separate Trust Chair, that person be required to
> be an IETF appointee and subject to recall.  No matter how many
> "the Chair is nothing special" rules one has, we all know from
> experience that long-term (as distinct from rotating) chairs of
> long-lived bodies tend to be treated, externally at least, as
> spokespeople, etc.

I agree that the two staff positions in the IAOC (IAD and ISOC
President/CEO) should not be eligible as Trust chair, since there
is no recall path.  (Obviously I don't suggest that either of
them is otherwise unsuitable ;-)

> (3) I don't recall seeing it before, which may be my fault, but
> the provision that, if the IAOC is dissolved, the Trustees
> become permanent appointments and get to determine the Trust's
> fate is very unattractive.  Probably the Trust and/or IAOC
> procedures or charter should be modified so that, in the event
> of the demise of the IAOC, the Trust falls firmly under direct
> IETF control (unless the IETF itself ceases to exist).   There
> might be other ways to do it, but perhaps the termination of the
> IAOC without other provisions should immediately add the entire
> IAB and/or IESG (or whichever one survives), ex-officio to the
> voting roster of Trustees for the duration.

That really fills a small gap in the Trust Agreement (which talks about
what happens if the IETF or IESG ceases to exist but not if the IAOC
ceases to exist). I think you're correct that it could be improved,
but can we separate that from the current proposed changes?

   Brian