Re: IETF Last Call for two IPR WG Dcouments

Ray Pelletier wrote:

> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>> Joel M. Halpern wrote:
>>

>>> I do not understand the problem you want addressed.  The way this is
>>> worded, it doesn't matter what "open source" or "free software" is or
>>> becomes.  The intention is to grant anyone to do anything with the
>>> code segments.  That's what we ask the trust to do. Further in line.
>>>

>> I think Simon is suggesting that we provide some guidance to the Trust
>> in choosing a license. IANAL, however the phrase "grant anyone to do
>> anything" sounds nice in theory but needs to be translated into a
>> functioning license. As far as I can see there are three licenses that
>> would fit the bill:
>>
>> 1. The MIT license
>> 2. A BSD-style license
>> 3. A designation that the code is in the public domain
>>
>> Some people allege that it is not possible to put a work directly into
>> the public domain (although I disagree), which is why they prefer to use
>> a license.
>>
>> As a point of comparison, the XMPP Standards Foundation recently worked
>> to make sure that its specifications are safe for inclusion in free
>> sofware, and decided upon a slightly-modified MIT license (modified in
>> order to make clear that we were publishing specifications, not code).
>> The resulting license is here:
>>
>> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/ipr-policy.shtml
>>

> The Trustees adopted the Non-Profit Open Software License 3.0 in
> September 2007 as the license it would use for open sourcing software
> done as work-for-hire and that contributed to it, at that time thinking
> of code contributed by IETF volunteers.  See:
> http://trustee.ietf.org/licenses.html
> Is it clear that the contributions contemplated by these documents would
> require a different treatment?

Thanks for the link. I had not been aware of this license, so I'll take
some time to read it before commenting. I've also sent the text of the
license to the debian-legal list for discussion among that community.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/