GEOPRIV Experiment at IETF 71

Hi all,

Wanted to let folks know about an experiment that some participants from
the GEOPRIV working group have put together for this IETF.  Using the
IETF network infrastructure as a location source, we've set up a
location server [1] that offers location information over the HTTP-based
HELD protocol [2].  It works like this:

+--------+           +-----+           +---------------------+
| Client |---HELD----| LIS |-----------| IETF (NetDisco [3]) |
+--------+           +-----+           +---------------------+

1. Client submits HELD request
2. LIS queries NetDisco (over an ad-hoc interface) for location of an IP
3. NetDisco returns civicAddress XML for the AP to which the requested
IP is connected, e.g.:
<civicAddress
    xmlns="urn:params:xml:ns:pidf:geopriv10:civicAddr">
    <country>US</country>
    <A1>Pennsylvania</A1>
    <A3>Philadelphia</A3>
    <A6>Market</A6>
    <STS>Street</STS>
    <HNO>1201</HNO>
    <PC>19107</PC>
    <ROOM>Franknlin 1/2</ROOM>
</civicAddress>
4. LIS inserts civicAddress into PIDF-LO into locationResponse and
returns to Client

The HELD server is written in PHP, and is based on the open-source HELD
LIS written by Andrew Co. [4].

We have two clients for you to try out:

1. I wrote a small Java application [5] that pulls location from the
HELD server and posts it as the status of a Jabber account.  For
instance, while I was in SIPPING this afternoon, my status was:
"
Current location:
Civic Address:
Franklin 1/2
1201 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
"
Note: This app runs *alongside* your usual Jabber client, as a separate
client, so you don't need to change anything about how you use Jabber.
Requires Java 1.6.

2. Along with the open-source LIS from Andrew Co, there's Java client
library and GUI that shows most of the features in
draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-05, including the creation and
management of location references (URIs that refer to location).  You
can download it at [6] (Note: (1) you need to download both the client
library and the GUI; (2) requires Windows and Java 1.6.)

3. Karl Heinz Wolf from Nic.at has enhanced the Zap! SIP client so that
it will access location and send it out in SIP messages [7]

If you do give these tools a try, please send feedback to me and to the
GEOPRIV working group list, <geopriv@xxxxxxxx>.

Thanks a lot,
--Richard

[1] <http://lis.ietf71.ietf.org/>
[2] draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-05
[3] <http://www.netdisco.org/>
[4] <http://held-location.sourceforge.net/>
[5] <http://lis.ietf71.ietf.org/downloads/geojabber-1.0.zip>
[6] <http://lis.ietf71.ietf.org/downloads/HELD_Client-Executable.zip>