Re: draft-duerst-iana-namespace-00.txt

Ned Freed wrote:
> By all means do so if you want, but IMO it's a waste of time. It's like
> that
> cautionary line finance folks use: Past performance is not a reliable
> indication of future results. Just because someone group of implementors
> got it
> right (or wrong) in the past doesn't mean the next group won't get it
> wrong (or
> right) this time. What such a query is effectively trying to do is to
> prove a
> negative. Good luck with that.
>
> Again, the bottom line is that the potential for a screwup is there and
> past
> experience tells us that the potential is sometimes, um, exploited,
> sometimes
> not. And that's more than sufficient to warrant discussion of the issue
> in the
> document.

Let me rephrase it then: as far as I know, there is no evidence
whatsoever that using an HTTP based URI as an XML namespace name so far
has caused excessive traffic.

I would argue that those who argue against their use will have to
provide such evidence.

And yes, having the specification *warning* against automatic retrieval
is always a good idea (see, for instance,
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc3648.html#rfc.section.11.1>).

BR, Julian