RE: Last Call: draft-ietf-smime-sha2 (Using SHA2 Algorithms withCryptographic Message Syntax) to Proposed Standard

Denis,

Thanks for taking the time to review this ID. Responses are inline.

spt

If I was going to leave something intentionally in the document to see if
you'd read it, then it would have been a lot better ... something like (note
this isn't an actual offer) "if you mention this sentence to me I'll buy you
a beer".  This ID is way too short to sneak in this kind of phrase.

>On page 1:
>
>The message digest algorithms are defined in and [SHS].
>                                             ^^^ Also in section 2.4:

Will remove the "and".

>2.4. SHA-512
>
>   The SHA-256 message digest algorithm is defined in [SHS].
>
>whereas it should be:
>
>2.4. SHA-512
>
>   The SHA-512 message digest algorithm is defined in [SHS].

Will replace SHA-256 with SHA-512 in 2.4.

>It would be valuable to explain why DSA cannot be used with
>SHA-384 and SHA-512.

I'll add some text.

>In addition, it is not acceptable to reference in the
>*normative* references "work in progess", i.e.[ECCADD].

I'm pretty sure this is done all the time. There are 17 IDs in the RFC
editor queue with works-in-progress in normative references.

>The same applies for [SHS]. The text states:
>
>   NOTE [to be removed upon publication as an RFC]: NIST has not yet
>   finalized FIPS 186-3 and there is a chance that the draft may be
>   changed.  This may result in differences between what is documented
>   in the current version of this document and what is in the
>FIPS.  It
>   is intended to synchronize the final version of this draft with the
>   FIPS before publication as an RFC.

The FIPS PUB 186-3 part that this ID needs has very little chance of
changing. The WG wanted this note to be safe.

>There is a more substantive comment on the first paragraph of
>section 1.
>The text states:
>
>   If an implementation chooses to support one of the algorithms
>   discussed in this document, then the implementation MUST do so as
>   described in this document.
>
>I believe the text should be:
>
>   If an implementation chooses to support one of the algorithms
>   discussed in this document, then the implementation MUST do so as
>   described in [SHS].

The algorithms aren't defined in this document only the OIDs and where they
go in CMS ... so I still think it's actually "as described in this
document". But, Spencer suggests removing the sentences because they're not
needed and I tend to agree with him.

>A small discussion in the security considerations section on
>the advantages (in particular in terms of performances versus
>security) of using one or another function from the SHA2
>family would be helpful.

I'll see if I can't get something from NIST (or at least point to it).

>While I welcome this draft, everybody should take into
>consideration that, if the SHA2 family happens to be broken
>then we will be at risk.
>This should be mentioned into the security considerations section.

If an algorithm is cracked then isn't it obvious that we're in trouble?  No
other algorithm document I could find says something like this so I'm
inclined to not include this in the security considerations section.