Re: IPv6 NAT?

[Mark Andrews is right, it is very difficult to separate your message
from the parts you quote, my mail reader does not have a HTML
parser !]

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 01:57:18PM +0100,
 Rémi Després <remi.despres@xxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 44 lines which said:

>    The first 64 bits of IPv6 addresses are still available to
>    identify sites from which connections are initiated.

I was not speaking about you *can* do but about what people *do*
today. A lot of people use the existence (or not) of a PTR record to
grant you access or not. You may tell them "PTR is useless, use the
first 64 bits of the address instead", they won't listen.

>    PTR RRs are normally used to get names corresponding to prefixes,
>    not to addresses, so that there is IMU no reverse DNS problem
>    here.

AFAIK, there is no DNS way to resolve prefixes into names (RFC 1101,
may be? Can we apply it to IPv6 addresses?). A PTR is for a complete
adress, not for a prefix.