RE: My view of the IAOC Meeting Selection Guidelines

At 19:00 08-02-2008, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
>It seems to me that the $800k budget for a single conference can buy an
>awful lot of telephony (or VoIP) bandwidth so that inefficient and expensive
>in-person meetings can be replaced by web meetings. Perhaps that money could
>even be used to pay programmers to create a workable web-based voice and
>video system for technical meetings -- open source, of course.

In-person meetings do not have the same dynamics as web
meetings.  People would react differently if they were interacting
through a voice and video system.  The aim of a meeting is usually to
have all the people in one place away from the "distractions" of
their regular work.

>Surely we can find a way to work together without always having to fly to
>distant climes? And we'd save the environment too, if technical
>professionals got together electronically.

When technical professionals get together electronically, they have
flame wars. :-)

Regards,
-sm