RE: I-D submission tool

--On Thursday, 07 February, 2008 09:28 +0200
Pasi.Eronen@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> John C Klensin wrote:
>
>> For the second, it claims that the file isn't "plain text" and
>> won't post it or even provide a manual submission path.  The
>> file is output or xml2rfc, has proper CRLF line endings, and,
>> if it contains any non-ASCII characters or serious format
>> misbehavior, the online version of idnits can't find it, even
>> in very verbose mode. [rt.amsl.com #1799]
>
> I also encountered this problem (rt.amsl.com #1730), and after
> some debugging, discovered what the problem was: the
> submission tool uses the "file" program to check whether the
> file is plain text or not, and (apparently) the "file" program
> on the new servers behaves slightly differently from the old
> one.
>
> In particular, if you have the string "(if approved)" on your
> cover page, some versions of "file" (at least some Linux
> distributions) will identify your draft as "Lisp/Scheme
> program text" instead of  just ASCII :-)

<obscenity/>

So we get a choice of either

	* Not getting drafts posted  or

	* Violating the IESG's instructions about how I-Ds that
	are intended for standards track are laid out.

Gee.

Ray, while meeting site choices are ultimately judgment calls
and about tradeoffs, this is unambiguously preventing work from
getting done.   Today is Thursday and we've got a posting cutoff
a week from Monday.

Is it reasonable to assume that this has been assigned a
priority in, or close to, the "even if they have to work all
night" range?

And, by the way, is the ticket tracker database public?  If not,
why not?  And, if so, why do there not appear to be any links to
it  from either the Secretariat or Tools pages?

best,
    john