Re: transitioning email rules

Hi,

On 2008-02-05 07:35 Yaakov Stein said the following:
> I assume that others have come across this problem as well,
> but I haven't seen anything mentioned about it on this list or the IETF
> sites.
>
> I receive over 500 non-spam emails every day (peaks can reach 1000).
> These include emails from about 15 IETF lists,
> about 25 other standardization lists, some 20 lists on technical topics,
>
> multiple internal corporate lists, (and even a few emails sent only to
> me).
>
> The only way I can deal with this load and maintain my sanity
> is by using a large set of sorting rules.
> I have quite a few rules dealing with IETF emails that all worked well
> until the transition.

I've found over the last ~5 years that the most consistent header on which
to sort is the X-BeenThere: header, which always reflect the list address,
without any other arbitrary junk around it (which unfortunately isn't true
for the the List-ID: header, which has text which may arbitrarily be modified
by a well-intentioned human, making it in practical experience a bit
unpredictable for sorting purposes).

So far, all of my IETF-related MUA sorting rules, which use X-BeenThere:,
have continued to function perfectly across the transition.

	Henrik