Re: [HOKEY] Last Call: draft-ietf-hokey-erx (EAP Extensions for EAP Re-authentication Protocol (ERP)) to Proposed Standard

  Hello again,

  Pardon my repetition but I have come up with a very valid
reason why naming keys using HMAC-SHA-256 is a bad idea.

  If one wants to administratively remove all keys in a particular
key hierarchy (which seems like an entirely reasonable request)
one must do a linear search of all keys in all key hierarchies
that a particular server maintains! This is because HMAC-SHA-256
has mapped all identifying key information for all key hierarchies
to the same name space. It precludes using something like a
hash table for fast lookup of all related keys.

  If keys were named by concatenating the EAP Session-ID with
a string that identified the particular key in the key hierarchy
rooted at the MK derived in that EAP Session-ID then the EAP
Session-ID could be used as an index into a hash table and all
keys for that particular key hierarchy could be looked up very
efficiently.

  regards,

  Dan.