Re: Internet Draft Submission cutoff dates

--On Friday, 01 February, 2008 15:31 -0500 Scott Brim
<swb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I propose that we eliminate global cutoff dates and let each WG
> establish any cutoff dates it needs for its own purposes.
>
> In general we strive to have the principal forum for
> discussion be WG mailing lists as opposed to the physical
> meetings themselves.  That should be the default case.  Most
> WGs at least pretend to try to get away from simple

Scott,

Three observations...

(1) I think this implies that we wouldn't rely on tools to
enforce posting deadlines at all, but would just leave the
submission tools functioning year-round.  The posting deadlines
would then have to do with rules established by a WG as to what
they would consider.  I see two practical problems with that.
One is that we still have some I-Ds posted manually or, as with
WG -00 documents, still requiring manual intervention.  I
suspect it is not realistic to ask the Secretariat to keep that
process running at full efficiency right up to IETF, so we might
need a "no promises that this will get done if you submit it for
manual posting after..." sort of cutoff.   The other is that
multiple revisions of a document just before IETF could leave
people sitting in a meeting room looking at (or having read)
different versions of the same document.  That would be an
annoyance at best, but maybe worse.

(2) I think an early cutoff for individual documents that do not
directly relate to IETF WG or Standards-track work is useful
because it keeps the noise level down for all of us.    So a
WG-based cutoff might need to be accompanied by a tool-enforced
cutoff about most non-WG documents.

(3) Cullen's note emphasized the reading problems faced by ADs
who are trying to stay on top of all of the documents in their
areas.  I think we need to be very careful about that, balancing
permitting the ADs to function/manage effectively and
efficiently with efficient functioning of WGs.   Years ago, when
I was trying to do an AD job, I discovered that it was more
important to follow discussions than to read every revision of
every document, leaving it to the WGs and their leadership to be
sure that discussions were properly reflected in revisions and
to bring the issues to my attention when needed.   But Cullen
may well work differently than I did (and his results may be
better), so it is important to be sure that we don't upset his
balance and that of others working the way he works.

To repeat what I said in my first note, I hope we don't need to
redesign this on the list.  I was very pleased to see Cullen's
note and hope it is a sign that the IESG is beginning to discuss
the topic.   If they announce, after due consideration, a new
and better-balanced plan in Philadelphia, I expect to be happy
about it and consider it an improvement regardless of its
details.

   john