Re: [PMOL] Re: A question about [Fwd: WG Review: Performance Metrics atOther Layers (pmol)]

Hi, Steve,

Stephen Kent wrote:
> Joe,
>
> I disagree with your suggestion "The software performance of security
> protocols has been the more substantial issue, and is likely to continue
> to be for the forseeable future."
>
> I suspect that most desktop users do not need hardware crypto for
> performance.  Irarely if ever drive my GiGE interface at its line rate.

It's not hard to drive it high enough to see a substantial impact
(300+Mbps); when I turn on S/W crypto, that drops to less than 1/3 at
best. See the paper below.

> With fast processors, especially multi-core processors, we have enough
> cycles to do symmetric crypto at data rates consistent with most
> application demands for individual users.  Public key operations for key
> management are usually low duty cycle, so they too can be accommodated.

Public key is less the issue. See the following for recent measurements
using multicore processors - FWIW, this will peg the processing of a
modern CPU just to reach over 100Mbps:

J. Touch, Y. Yang, "Reducing the Impact of DoS Attacks on Endpoint IP
Security,"Proc. NPSec 2006, in conjunction with ICNP 2006, Nov. 2006.
http://www.isi.edu/touch/pubs/npsec2006

Joe