RE: Reminder: Offer of time on the IPR WG agenda for rechartering

Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> The outcomes I see possible of such a discussion are:
<snip>

I can't be in Vancouver for this meeting. Probably few of the others who
have been vocal on these issues on these email lists can be in Vancouver
either.

I hope no decisions will be arrived at in what will probably be an
unrepresentative arena. In-person meetings are an ineffective and expensive
way to decide things in the Internet age. In any event, these email lists
have elicited more comments than any meeting in Vancouver could properly
address. How do we intend to move toward consensus?

FWIW, I support Simon's I-D as far as it goes. It is a fine description
about how free software is adversely affected by restricted copyrights and
patents when implementing so-called "open standards."

But I don't think that I-D will suffice alone, and I still recommend that
the IPR-WG be re-chartered to propose formal IETF policies that require open
standards for the Internet. We should commit in all IETF working groups to
remain aware of the influence of patents and copyrights on our standards, to
react in intelligent ways to any patent or copyright encumbrances brought to
our attention, and all participants in the specification drafting process
should commit formally to produce open standards unencumbered by copyright
or patent royalties or licensing conditions that would limit implementation
by anyone who wants to do so.

The devil is in the details, but Vancouver is not the place to brush those
details under the rug. We need to re-charter the IPR-WG to fill in the
details on a policy for which we can all vote.

The alternative to a re-charter is for this complaint to be brought up again
and again, every time someone has the audacity to recommend an IETF
specification that is encumbered so to prevent FOSS implementations. Is that
preferable?

If you like, spend 5-10 minutes amongst yourselves in Vancouver discussing
this matter. Let us know what you decide.

/Larry Rosen