RE: 2026, draft, full, etc.

I agree, but only partly.

A second pass on the documents does have a beneficial effect. This is particularly the case for older 'standards' where the documents simply don't match current requirements (no security, iana considerations for a start) and are often missing key folklore essential for interoperability.

Where I think the process goes wrong is that it applies to documents, not protocols. A lot of crud goes through the mill in the name of avoiding recycling at proposed. And when a major revision of an existing protocol is done the revision goes back to proposed before being promited to draft.