Re: Please reject proprietary standards.

--On 19. oktober 2007 17:34 -0500 Ismael Jones <ismaeljones@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Best IETF,

sincerely to reject at all levels any standard which relies on
proprietary or otherwise commercially-based technologies.  Thank you very
much for your consideration.

Dear letter-sender,

I am happy to invite you to sign up to the IETF list (or the IETF's IPR WG list) in order to discuss these matters.

It should be entertaining to read your detailed definition of "commercially-based technologies", since this is a term I have not heard before, and where my intuitive understanding of the term HAS to be wrong, since it would argue against standardization of such non-IETF technologies as Ethernet, electrical sockets, the CD record and the threads of screws. Just to mention a few examples of non-IETF standards; I'll let identification of relevant IETF standards that are "commercially-based" wait until I hear your definition of the term.

Regards,

           Harald Alvestrand, chair of the IETF IPR WG