Re: Experimental makes sense for tls-authz

David Morris <dwm@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007, Ben Finney wrote:
> > getting involved -- in particular, on this list. Are you saying
> > that people who take the time to post in this forum will be
> > ignored merely because what they say is not what you want to hear?
>
> Absolutely, if they don't bother to stick around and read the
> subsequent discussion. Merely spaming this list does provide
> validity to the poster's point of view. Hanging around and
> participating and having the rest of the community observe the
> poster's qualifications first hand as they re-inforce their points
> is how they earn respect in this organization.

These people are asking that IETF reject technologies encumbered by
patents from the standards process, because they use the internet and
will be harmed by that. The reasons have been stated many times, and
remain valid even if not *every* poster makes them plain.

What qualifications are required to say "please don't allow patent
holders to use IETF to undermine the internet"?

> Repeated posts of what were essentially copies of boilerplate text
> by multiple people doesn't engender credibility. An frankly, cut and
> paste political campaigns beg to be ignored.

You must have read different messages to the ones I did. The first
hundred or so messages protesting the progression of patent-encumbered
'tls-authz' through the standards process were *all* different,
written in the words of different people. They were not "boilerplate
text" nor a "cut and paste political campaign".

--
 \     "A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for |
  `\                                   a coffin."  -- Henry L. Mencken |