IETF 71: Results of Social Venue Survey

I would like to thank all of you in the IETF community that participated
in this survey.  We were delighted that 245 people took the time to do
so.  We asked both about what people liked and disliked about IETF
socials generally, as well as which of the two venues we narrowed our
choices to they liked best (we of course visited/investigated many
more).

In terms of a venue, there was clearly more interest in the Philadelphia
Museum of Art, and so we have selected this venue and are now working
out all of the agreements to make this happen.

PDFs of the raw survey results are available to anyone who wishes to
view them.  These may be particularly useful to future IETF meeting
sponsors, and many of the comments are quite interesting.  These can be
found at
http://ietf71.comcast.net/premtgsurvey/IETF71-SocialVenueSurvey.zip.
Please note that we will be publishing more meeting & logistical info
over time at http://ietf71.comcast.net (you can also set your RSS reader
to http://ietf71.comcast.net/?feed=rss2 to pick up any changes
automatically).

Key survey findings:
1.	Of the respondents, the large majority plan to attend IETF 71.
	a.	83%, or 204 people, plan to attend.
	b.	15%, or 38 people, are undecided.
	c.	1%, or 3 people, will not attend.

2.	Of the respondents, many are undecided on whether they will
attend the social and appear to decide whether to do so at each IETF
meeting.
	a.	59%, or 143 people, sometimes attend depending on the
individual event.
	b.	39%, or 94 people, always attend.
	c.	3%, or 6 people, never attend.
	d.	1 person would only attend if they event was certain to
be IPv6-compliant.

3.	The most important parts of attending a social event for
attendees are:
	a.	Meeting people / talking to people
	b.	Good food
	c.	Visiting an interesting venue
	d.	Stuff to see / do
	e.	Open bar

4.	Of secondary importance for the event (less important than
above):
	a.	Music
	b.	Affordability / value

5.	The least important item for an event was music.

6.	Respondents were from a range of geographic locations:
	a.	U.S.: 55%
	b.	Europe: 27%
	c.	Asia: 7%
	d.	U.K.: 4%
	e.	Canada: 3%
	f.	Middle East: 1%
	g.	2% lived "in the network," "on the moon," or in some
other "secret" locale.

Regards
Jason Livingood