Re: IPv4 to IPv6 transition

> On 5-okt-2007, at 6:38, Michel Py wrote:
>
> > Nothing is going to happen the day the last v4 block is allocated.
> > Nothing is going to happen for days. Nothing is going to happen for
> > weeks.
>
> Sure.
>
> > Nothing is going to happen for months.
>
> Not so sure. The big ISPs that work in blocks of a million or so
> addresses will be the first ones to see their requests turned down
> because addresses are out of stock. Presumably, they'll need those
> addresses to connect new customers. If you happen to request a new
> connection around that time you'll see an effect.
>
> >> Does anybody have any established and sustained opinion on that
> >> and could provide verifiable if not objective data? How many
> >> critical bugs were really found in typical systems?
>
> > We will never know that. There were scores of people who billed
> > tons of
> > money to take care of it; you don't expect that they will admit to
> > spending all this time finding nothing, would you?
>
> I think some pretty much have.
>
> I'm sure that if the Y2K issue had been ignored there'd been lots of
> problems with individual systems. The part that was unlikely (but not
> impossible) from the beginning were all the domino effects. A router
> won't stop routing if it is set to the wrong time of day. I'm pretty
> sure a plane won't stop flying, either. But in that particular case,
> "pretty sure" is not exactly good enough...

	There have been fighter jets that couldn't cross the date
	line as the navigation computers crashes/gave wrong readings.
	The pilots that discovered this had to be escorted back by
	other aircraft with working navigation.

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews@xxxxxxx