Comments on draft-ietf-lemonade-reconnect-client-06

$Id: draft-ietf-lemonade-reconnect-client-06-rev.txt,v 1.1 2007/10/04 22:25:53 ekr Exp $

OVERALL
This document describes an extension to IMAP to provide faster
synchronization between client and server. As far as I can
tell, the optimizations are:

- Removing one round trip needed to discover which messages
  have been expunged.
- A more compact representation of the list of expunged
  messages

I have some skepticism about the importance of these optimizations.
The document does not come with any performance measurements,
and 1 RTT really isn't that much. In particular, I wonder if
VANISHED really saves that much bandwidth over EXPUNGED if
compression is in use. I don't know what standard is being
used to decide whether optimizations of this type are worthwhile.

I found this document fairly hard to read. I understand that it's
a delta to IMAP and requires quite a bit of knowledge of IMAP
to understand, but I think it could have been written to be
more clear about how it changes IMAP's behavior in each case.
In particular, the examples would be improved by always
having New and Old and having some sort of indicator of exactly
which PDUs have changed and why.

DETAILED COMMENTS
S 2.
This would be improved by some overall diagram of the new and
old behavior and some measurement, even an ad hoc one, of
the performance improvement.

S 3.1.

   Conceptually, the client provides a small sample of sequence numbers
   for which it knows the corresponding UIDs.  The server then compares
   each sequence number and UID pair the client provides with the
   current state of the mailbox.  If a pair matches, then the client
   knows of any expunges up to, and including, the message, and thus
   will not include that range in the VANISHED response, even if the
   "mod-sequence-value" provided by the client is too old for the server
   to have data of when those messages were expunged.

This is probably my ignorance of IMAP, but how can this happen? Why
doesn't the client have a mod-sequence-value corresponds to these
UIDs?

      S: * VANISHED (EARLIER) 1:2,4:5,7:8,10:11,13:14 [...]
         29998:29999,30001:30002,30004:30005,30007:30008

This [...] hides the data you're optimizing away, right? This
would help if it were called out more clearly.

S 3.3, 3.4, 3.5.
These would all benefit from a statement of how they differ from
3501, rather than just stating new rules.

   If the server is capable of storing modification sequences for the
   selected mailbox, it MUST increment the per-mailbox mod-sequence if
   at least one message was permanently removed due to the execution of
   the EXPUNGE command.  For each permanently removed message the server
   MUST remember the incremented mod-sequence and corresponding UID.  If
   at least one message got expunged, the server MUST send the updated
   per-mailbox modification sequence using the HIGHESTMODSEQ response
   code (defined in [CONDSTORE]) in the tagged OK response.

So, this is repeated in all three sections. That seems less than
optimal.

Rather than refing 3501, it would probably be good to point out
why the message #s are as they are in these examples, due to
auto-decrement.

S 3.6.
   The VANISHED response has two forms.  The first form contains the
   EARLIER tag, which signifies that the response was caused by a UID
   FETCH (VANISHED) or a SELECT/EXAMINE (QRESYNC) command.  This
   response is sent if the UID set parameter to the UID FETCH (VANISHED)
   command includes UIDs of messages that are no longer in the mailbox.
   When the client sees a VANISHED EARLIER response it MUST NOT
   decrement message sequence numbers for each successive message in the
   mailbox.

   The second form doesn't contain the EARLIER tag and is described
   below.  Once a client has used "(VANISHED)" with a UID FETCH or
   "(QRESYNC)" with SELECT/EXAMINE command, the server SHOULD use the
   VANISHED response without the EARLIER tag instead of the EXPUNGE
   response.  The server SHOULD continue using VANISHED in lieu of
   EXPUNGE for the duration of the connection.  In particular this
   affects the EXPUNGE [RFC3501] and UID EXPUNGE [UIDPLUS] commands, as
   well as messages expunged in other connections.  Such VANISHED
   response MUST NOT contain the EARLIER tag.

This is pretty unclear to the non-IMAP expert. Could you explain
in english what this is trying to accomplish in the document,
not just specify the protocol mechanics.

In the example, swap before and after. Also, it would be good
to show an example of (EARLIER).

S 4.1.
   Strictly speaking, a server implementation that doesn't remember
   modsequences associated with expunged messages can be considered
   compliant with this specification.  Such implementations return all
   expunged messages specified in the UID set of the UID FETCH
   (VANISHED) command every time, without paying attention to the
   specified CHANGEDSINCE modsequence.  Such implementations are
   discouraged, as they can end up returning VANISHED responses bigger
   than the result of a UID SEARCH command for the same UID set.

Isn't this inconsistent with:

   If the server is capable of storing modification sequences for the
   selected mailbox, it MUST increment the per-mailbox mod-sequence if
   at least one message was permanently removed due to the execution of
   the EXPUNGE command.  For each permanently removed message the server
   MUST remember the incremented mod-sequence and corresponding UID.  If
   at least one message got expunged, the server MUST send the updated
   per-mailbox modification sequence using the HIGHESTMODSEQ response
   code (defined in [CONDSTORE]) in the tagged OK response.

If not, why not?

S 5.
   The client MUST also take note of any MODSEQ FETCH data items
   received from the server.  Whenever the client receives a tagged
   response to a command, it calculates the highest value among all
   MODSEQ FETCH data items received since the last tagged response.  If
   this value is bigger than the client's copy of the HIGHESTMODSEQ
   value, then the client MUST use this value as its new HIGHESTMODSEQ
   value.

So, I probably misunderstand something, but my read of 4551 made
it seem like you could do a MODSEQ FETCH that would not return
all the metadata for every message. In that case, wouldn't this
procedure risk you having a modseq that is higher than some
messages you haven't examined yet? What am I missing.

I don't see any new security issues in this document.