RE: IPv4 to IPv6 transition

In the 1980s I worked on a chemical plant manufacturing chlorine and CFCs. In the corner of the site there was a plant that had been constructed but never put into production.

The plant had been built to make a CFC substitute product when the Ozone layer issue had first been raised but never went into production as it was subsequently proved that the ozone layer fears had been greatly exagerated and that it would be centuries or more before the significant depletion would take effect.

Today of course we have a massive hole in the ozone layer and the role of CFCs is beyond serious dispute. More than half the CFCs that are circulating in the upper atmosphere today were manufactured after we had the technology to avoid the problem.

So yes, Homo Sapiens is entirely capable of turning avoidable disaster into disaster through inaction.