Re: Renumbering

> >> +1
> >>
> >> and furthermore the result needs to be the same regardless of whether
> >> this is done on an IPv4-only, IPv6-only, or dual-stack and
> >> dual-connected machine.
> >>

> > 	In otherwords it need to be independent of the setting of
> > 	AI_ADDRCONFIG.
> Well, that's not saying quite the same thing that I was trying to say.
>
> The /name/ on which the query is based should be independent of whether
> AI_ADDRCONFIG is set.  However the /result/ of the query can still
> differ based on whether that flag is set.  And if AI_ADDRCONFIG is not
> set, the result of the query should be the same regardless of whether
> the host has IPv4 access, IPv6 access, or both.  This implies that the
> query is being done on the same name in both cases.

	It also means that you need to stop searching if there is
	a A or AAAA record regardless of which address families are
	configured.  This notion that a IPv4 only box doesn't need
	to make AAAA queries is completely bogus.

> (Actually I think that AI_ADDRCONFIG is so ambiguously defined as to be
> fairly useless in practice.  But I also think that searching through
> multiple zones is a bad idea.)
>
> Keith

	Mark

	P.S.
	I think hotels will quickly fix the AAAA brokenness now
	that Vista is shipped.  This won't fix all the DNS breakage
	they cause but that part will go away.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews@xxxxxxx