Re: Renumbering

> >> Yeah right. Try again.
>
> > 	Don't you have "localhost AAAA ::1" and "localhost A
> > 	127.0.0.1" configured in you DNS?
>
> You got me there.  :-)
>
> I don't think that specific case warrants asking for AAAA records all
> the time for everything even though there is no IPv6 connectivity,
> though. The proper way to do this is probably to make localhost a
> special case in the resolver library. This also helps avoiding
> weirdness when some joker puts "localhost" with a non-localhost
> address in one of your search domains.

	Actually getaddrinfo() not asking for AAAA all the time is
	broken if you add in searching which most/all getaddrinfo()
	calls do.

	You want to get to the *same* name when searching regardless
	of whether it has A, AAAA or AAAA & A records.  There are two
	way to achieve this.

	1. you stop when you get a NODATA response.
	2. you stop when there is a A or AAAA record at the name.

	The IETF/POSIX needs to specify what is the correct algorithm
	to use when searching.  Note the first cannot be applies to
	anyother backend than the DNS.

		getaddrinfo("foo") and getaddrinfo("ftp.uu.net")

	        search "example.org example.net example.com"

		foo.example.org A 1.2.3.4
		foo.example.net A 2001::1
		*.example.com A 1.2.3.5
		*.example.com A 2001::2

		What is the correct response on a
		* IPv4 only machine
		* IPv6 only machine
		* dual stack machine

		Note ftp.uu.net does NOT have AAAA records

	Mark
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews@xxxxxxx