Re: mini-cores (was Re: ULA-C)

>>> 6to4 is a crapshoot, it can be reasonable or it can completely fail,
>>> with everything in between. But it's never going to be better than
>>> native IPv4, obviously.
>> No, not obviously - because if the application has a need to do
>> address referral then there are conditions in which the 6to4 address
>> will work better.
>
> I was talking about performance. I guess even there there are a few
> cases where 6to4 can do better than the IPv4 it's carried over, but
> that should be rare.
More common than you might think, especially given that native IPv4 is
often subject to traffic filters that might not apply to 6to4.

>>> I agree that this is an important issue, but I fail to see how this
>>> relates to applications knowing about addresses, unless applications
>>> are going to do their own performance testing, which I don't recommend.
>> p2p applications are doing this already.
>
> Do you mean BitTorrent? Those applications don't really test
> performance, but simply use different addresses concurrently. Which is
> an excellent way to make the question of which address performs better
> moot, by the way.
The applications that do that still have to deal with addresses
explicitly.  p2p transfer of large file is sort of a special case since
you can generally afford to spend some time learning which paths are
more efficient.
>>> As I said, a good start would be that API because once applications
>>> use it, people working on better address selection etc have a place
>>> to  insert their stuff and improve performance of real applications
>>> without having to rewrite the application.
>> I spent a fair amount of time trying to come up with an API that
>> would let applications push this decision-making to a lower layer
>> while allowing that lower layer to make those decisions effectively
>> based on the needs of that particular application.  That API ended up
>> looking fairly complex.  There are lots of factors that influence
>> address selection.
>
> Yes, communicating application needs back and forth would be tricky.
> For instance, suppose I have two links: one is 2 Mbps ADSL. This is
> not so bad that an application can't run, but if my other link is 1000
> Mbps, then the application would probably want to use that link. But
> the application doesn't know if that's the case, it could also be a
> GPRS link with enormous latency and virtually no bandwidth. So what
> does the application say?
The application says something like "I need a minimum of X Mb/s
bandwidth" (which implies, e.g. don't use any interface that can't
provide that)  or "I don't need much bandwidth but I do need a
connection that's going to stay up for awhile" (e.g. use the GPRS
interface or maybe the mobile IP in-care-of address) or "I need as much
bandwidth as possible but I don't expect the connection to need to stay
up very long".  (use the fastest path available or maybe even more than
one path concurrently) or "I need the best latency I can get but the
amount of data transferred will be small and the duration will be short".

Keith