RE: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

I am pretty sure the EUI-64 requirement has been dropped. If not I can't see how the real world security practitioners are going to implement it.

The EUI-64 address reveals the hardware manufacturer and model of hardware that I am using. There are no circumstances in which I am going to allow an attacker to obtain that information without putting them to as much effort as I can.

Security through obscurity is bad strategy but good tactics. It is really bad to rely on obscurity in a security architecture but good practice to employ obscurity as an additional control in a layered architecture, particularly when you are dealing with an imperfect security situation that you need to remediate.

If it is a requirement it is not stated correctly. I do not see a MUST. In fact if I was reviewing the text today I would bork it as stated as not being compliant with the MUST/SHOULD/MAY language.