RE: New models for email (Re: e2e)

I have a slightly different take from John here.

My strong belief is that a proposal for a new protocol that does the same thing as SMTP but slightly better is a total non starter. No matter how much better the protocol is the cost of transition will dominate.

The only way that I see a new email infrastructure emerging is as a part of a more general infrastructure to support multi-modal communication, both synchronous and asynchronous, bilateral and multilateral, Instant Messaging, email, voice, video, network news all combined in one unified protocol.