RE: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

> "ARIN ... belives IPv6 addresses are ... resources that need
> to be [distributed] according to need."
>
> I guess I have to agree with this sentiment.  If the ARIN
> community decides there is a better way to distribute IP
> addresses *OTHER THAN* need, I'd be really happy to hear what
> that method would be.

That method would be to distribute IPv6 addresses (which are not scarce)
in accordance with the IPv6 addressing architecture which allows for
every site (building/campus/office/place-of-business/home) to get a /48
assignment. This single assignment will last 99.9999% of them as long as
IPv6 exists. It allows for ISPs/ANS-holders to receive a single /32 or
shorter prefix which will only put a single entry in the global routing
table.

A bit oversimplified, but you get the idea. There is an overall
architecture which IS DIFFERENT FROM IPv4 and which actually helps limit
the growth of the global routing table.

--Michael Dillon