RE: e2e

> >Is there an informational RFC that describes the overall email
> >architecture that is provided by the various IETF protocols? Such a
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-crocker-email-arch-09

This is nice but a draft is not an RFC. Hopefully it will progress and
can then become a starting point for a discussion about creating a more
workable architecture.

> See http://www.irtf.org/charter?gtype=rg&group=asrg

Great. A web page last updated in 2003 and an email archive averaging 4
messages a month this year.

> Bilateral agreements mean a complete change of the email
> landscape.  Even then, I don't see how a small provider can
> afford blocking a large ESP.

Now you are criticising an architecture document which does not yet
exist.

> Sure, we can make part of the
> spam problem go away temporarily by giving up some of the
> functionality email provides.  Most people may be willing to
> live with the restrictions until they experience the
> drawbacks first-hand.

I live with these drawbacks every day. But I also remember how Internet
email was 15 years ago and I wonder if we can't stop the slide into
obscurity and regain the features that we have lost.

--Michael Dillon