Re: I-D ACTION:draft-wilson-class-e-00.txt

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
On 2007-08-07 16:15, Internet-Drafts@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Title : Redesignation of 240/4 from 'Future Use" to "Limited Use for Large Private Internets'
    Author(s)    : P. Wilson, et al.
    Filename    : draft-wilson-class-e-00.txt
    Pages        : 4
    Date        : 2007-8-7
This document directs the IANA to designate the block of IPv4
   addresses from 240.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 (240.0.0.0/4) as unicast
   address space for limited use in large private Internets.

It seems to me that we first need a discussion about why this space can't
be released as public address space. Is it known to be already deployed
as de facto private space?

I'd be a bit nervous about unintended side effects if
DHCP assigned me 255.255.255.255/32.

    Brian

I remember trying it. I wanted to clandestinely communicate between
linklocal boxes. I could use it with Unifix linux 2.0 and kernel 2.0.48

I did not find any other operating system, not even linux, who could
use it.

I did not find any hardware except nonmanaged switches who could use it.

I tried to "fix" the tcp/ip stack of a more modern linux. Sideffects.
I did not get it working. To many places in the software.

Kind regards
Peter and Karin Dambier

--
Peter and Karin Dambier