Ream-Specific IP (Was: IPv4)

On Friday 03 August 2007, Keith Moore wrote:
> > NAT isn't the only answer to the question "I can't
> > get IPv4 addresses, what do I do?" Using IPv6 and
> > a proxy to reach the IPv4 world is much, much
> > cleaner. And it also works from v4 to v6. We
> > really should start advocating this as the
> > preferred transition mechanism.
>
> NAT and proxies are not mutually exclusive.  There
> are advantages to having a proxy that can forward
> TCP and UDP traffic from an outside address/port to
> an inside address/port and vice versa; there are
> also advantages to a NAT that can do the same thing
> on a per-packet level. But a good, explicit protocol
> and API for doing each would be welcome. It would
> also be useful if the forwarder/NAT had explicit
> means of communicating the "external" source and
> destination address/port to the "internal" host -
> say via the same control protocol used to establish
> and maintain the address binding.

FWIW, there's a protocol that would give you the same
functionality as a NAT while preserving end-to-end
transparency of the network (i.e. IPv4 packets won't
be modified between the internal host on the IPv6-only
network and its IPv4 correspondent outside in the IPv4
Internet). It would also let the internal host to know
what address/port pair it was using to communicate,
without change to the application.

That's Ream-Specific IP [RFC3102][RFC3103].

> That would make it relatively easy
> to, say, have a server inside an IPv6-only network
> establish presence on an IPv4 network provided by an
> ISP, while still allowing the application to see the
> real IPv4 source address (say for logging or spam
> filtering).

Yes, that was pretty easy on an RSIP-enabled server on
an IPv6-only network connected to the IPv4 world via
an RSIP gateway, e.g. /etc/init.d/inetd start on the
server!

Last but not least, provided that an IKE implementation
would be modified to work hand-in-hand [RC3104] with
RSIP, it would also be possible to support end-to-end
IPv4 IPsec while one or both ends are on an IPv6 only
network.

--julien

[RFC3102] Realm Specific IP: Framework
[RFC3103] Realm Specific IP: Protocol Specification
[RFC3104] RSIP Support for End-to-end IPsec