Re: Charging I-Ds

Melinda Shore wrote:
> On 7/31/07 10:51 AM, "Stephane Bortzmeyer" <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> If an I-D is reviewed by several persons in the WG, one AD, two
>> members of IESG, etc, then, yes, it costs money but such an in-depth
>> review does not happen for random student-published I-D.
>>

> There is still no cost to the IETF, since review time is volunteer
> time.  The costs are for the secretariat, since someone has to extract
> the attachments or retrieve the drafts, get them into the database,
> keep the systems up and running, etc.

I-Ds do have a cost to the community as well as to the secretariat.  For
instance: The more I-Ds there are, the harder it is to find the document
you're looking for if you don't know the I-D identifier.  And every I-D
announcement becomes another interrupt that has to be serviced by people
who want to know enough about the I-D to understand whether it is
relevant.  In order to be really effective in IETF it's important to
know about useful new ideas, and also to know which of those ideas are
gaining traction within the community.

Still, I-Ds exist to allow half-baked ideas to be aired.  The notion
that it's possible to objectively distinguish useful I-Ds from useless
ones is silly.
> That said, I think the idea of charging for draft publication is
> ghastly.  Incentives matter, and structures that encourage more
> openness are better than structures that discourage more openness.

agree entirely.

Keith