Re: Last Call comment: draft-rosenberg-sip-app-media-tag-01.txt

At 9:49 AM -0500 7/25/07, Dave Crocker wrote:
>Ted Hardie wrote:
>>      A broader solution that encompasses other potential
>>uses of content negotiation seems to me in order.
>
>Other than probably looking for an interaction mechanism, rather than one through email, does this have any relationship to:
>
>   Content Negotiation for Messaging Services based on Email
>   <http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3297.html>?
>
>d/
>--
>
>  Dave Crocker
>  Brandenburg InternetWorking
>  bbiw.net

The SIP preference/capabilities work broadly re-uses the CONNEG framework.

This optimization treats a particular problem with "application" as a top-level
type in the SIP context.  Though there are application types in 3297 (application/pdf),
using them in negotiation hits SIP in somewhat different ways.  The question is
whether generalizing the subtype  content negotiation needed there would be
useful for other content negotiation users.
				Ted