Re: Requirements for Open IESG Positions

Hi Brian,

On 7/24/07 2:29 AM, "ext Brian E Carpenter" <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Jonne,
>
> On 2007-07-24 01:10, Soininen Jonne (NSN FI/Espoo) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just happened to read this mail today. I don't remember seeing such a mail
>> during previous nomcom rounds (they might have come, but I just didn't
>> notice them).
>
> You didn't notice them :-)
> Also these descriptions have evolved from year to year
> (there is a version in the IESG wiki too, at
> http://www3.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/AreasDescription,
> maybe the IESG should bring it up to date...)

You mean there is e-mail in my inbox I haven't read? ;)

>> I think this is a very good overview of the requirements
>> needed for the IESG positions and gives a nice background to think about the
>> people who would fit the positions.
>>
>> However, I think one of the areas is described a bit too much in detail and
>> perhaps give a wrong impression about the job. The following extract is from
>> the Security Area:
>>
>>> Specific expertise required for a Security AD includes strong knowledge
>>> of IETF security protocols.  To complement Tim Polk, the person selected
>>> as Security AD should have a working understanding of Kerberos, GSS-API,
>>> SASL, and how these relate to security protocols and to their use in
>>> applications and other security protocols.  A basic understanding of
>>> IPsec, IKE, TLS, PKI would also be useful.
>>
>> I'm sure this is an oversight, but I think it is generally not according the
>> IETF process to specific technologies and "hard coding" the division of work
>> in an area. To my understanding, the Ads in an area are free to divide the
>> work between themselves as they wish according their strengths. So, if the a
>> possible new security AD would not be interested to look at these
>> technologies, perhaps Tim would look at them - according the new division of
>> work in the area.
>
> If you look at the description for the O&M area you will also surely find it
> very specific to half the area. I think it's realistic to do this. I don't
> object to it.

I think the O&M area(s) is a bit different. Here there are three specific
technologies mentioned whereas in O&M area there are two quite different
areas. There is perhaps not a such a clear division of task (like there
isn't in other areas either).

However, like I said this is most probably just an oversight.

>> In addition, I think it is a bit shaky to mention the current AD in this
>> context even when the person is not up.
>
> My personal taste would also be not to mention the co-AD by name.
>
>> Theoretically (I don't know if this
>> has ever happened outside the creation of the RAI area), that AD could be
>> moved to the IAB or another position in the IESG. So, it is not 100% sure
>> that Tim would be continuing as the other security AD though probable.
>
> True, but that would then invoke the mid-term replacement process
> for the person being moved - and it *has* happened.

Cheers,

Jonne.

--
Jonne Soininen