Re: chicago IETF IPv6 connectivity

    > From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen@xxxxxxxxxx>

    > parts of the market like consumer CPE where the vendors have a history
    > of only releasing new software on new hardware, so a v6 upgrade will
    > require hundreds of millions of people to buy new boxes even though
    > their existing boxes would do v6 just fine if the vendors bothered to
    > release new code for them.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some vendors don't actually have an
incentive for *not* releasing new code for existing boxes, because in some
markets (e.g. the USA), the market for these sorts of boxes is close to
saturated (as in, a high percentage of potential buyers already have one).
So, the only way for these vendors to make a major sale (since people are
unlikely to want to pay significant $$$ for a code upgrade - plus to which
most people aren't going to want to fuss with upgrading anyway) is to
obsolete the old boxes, forcing purchase of a new one...

    > We all agree on the long-term vision.

Not necessarily.

	Noel